Xiaowei Chen, MD
Dr. Xiaowei Chen is a board certified pathologist who specializes in gynecologic pathology and cytopathology. Her main clinical services are focused on gynecologic pathology, gynecologic cytology, non-gynecologic cytology, and fine needle aspiration cytology at Columbia University Medical Center. Her research interests include gynecologic tumors, gynecological cytology, and general cytopathology.
Dr. Chen earned her medical degree at Norman Bethune University of Medical Sciences, Changchun, China, followed by the residency in anatomic pathology and clinical pathology at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York, where she also completed a fellowship in cytopathology.
Dr. Chen has published many valuable articles in the fields, including peer-reviewed articles, abstracts, and presentations.
Countries Visited for Humanitarian Missions:
Peer-Reviewed Publications in Print
1. Chen X, M.D., Arend R, M.D., Hamele-Bena D, M.D., Tergas A, M.D., MPH, Hawver M, M.D., Tong G, M.D., Wright T, M.D., Wright J, M.D.: Uterine carcinosarcoma: clinical, histopathological and immunohistochemical characteristics Int J Gynecol Pathol (Accepted)
2. Green DA, Whittier S, Greendyke W, Win C, Chen X, Hamele-Bena D: Outbreak of Rapidly Growing Nontuberculous Mycobacteria (RG-NTM) Among patients Undergoing Cosmetic Surgery in the Dominican Republic. Ann Plast Surg; 2017; 78(1): 17-22
3. Tong GX, Hawver M, Wei JJ, Chen X, Bena DH: Mutually Exclusive Expression of PAX8 and p63 in Transitional Cell Tumors of the Ovary: The Diagnostic and Histogenetic Significance. J Pathol & Microbiol 2016; 1(1): 1004.
4. Vink JY, Qin S, Brock CO, Zork NM, Feltovich HM, Chen X, Urie P, Myers KM, Hall TJ, Wapner R, Kitajewski JK, Shawber CJ, Gallos G. A new paradigm for the role of smooth muscle cells in the human cervix. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215(4): 478e1-478e11[Epub ahead of print]
5. Chen X, Wright JD, Abellar RG, Koehne de Gonzalez A, Collins N, Wright TC, Hamele-Bena D: Cytological Features of Choricarcinoma in a Pap Test: a case report and literature review. Diagn. Cytopathol 2015; 44(4): 324-328
6. Chen X, Hamele-Bena D, Galic VS, Liu-Jarin X, Ko KY, Herzog T, Wright JD, and Wright TC: Infiltrating adenomyosis of cervix with features of a low grade stromal sarcoma: a case report and literature review Int J Gynecol Pathol 2014; 33(3): 253-257
7. Chen X, Lagana S, Poneros J, Kato T, Remotti F, He H, Kaminsky D, Hamele-Bena D: Cytological diagnosis of angiosarcoma arising in an immunosuppressed patient 6 years after multi-visceral transplantation: a case report and literature review. Diag cytopathol 2014; 42(10):884-889
8. Chen X, Hamele-Bena D, Chow KF, Hawver M, He, H, Raphael B, Jain S, Wright TC: B-cell lymphoma of the vagina occurring after treatment for classic Hodgkin lymphoma: a case report and literature review. Diagn. Cytopathol 2013; 41(5):463-465
9. Jain S, Raphael B, Friedman K, Chen X, Ibrahim S: Relationship between classical Hodgekin's lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: Separate entity or biologic continuum. IJCRI 2011; 2(5):13-20
10. Brady PC, Chen X, Burke, WM, Deutsch I, Sun X, Herzog T, Wright JD: Detection and Significance of Parametrial Micrometastases in Early Stage Cervical Cancer. Anticancer Res.2011; 31(1): 243-247
11. Tong G, Devaraj K, Hamele-Bena D, Yu W, Turk A, Chen X, Wright J, Greenebaum E: PAX8: A Marker for Carcinoma of Mullerian Origin in Serous Effusion. Diagn. Cytopathol 2011; 39(8): 562-566
12. Chen X, Remotti F, Tong G, Gorczyca E, Hamele-Bena D: Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology of Subcutaneous Toxoplasmosis: A case report. Diagn. Cytopathol Diagn. Cytopatho 2010; l 38(10): 717-720
13. Chen X, Yu K, Tong G, Hood M, Storper I, Hamele-Bena D: Fine Needle Aspiration of Pleomorphic Lipoma of the Neck. Report of Two Cases. Diagn Cytopathol 2010; 38 (3): 184-184
14. Szporn A, Chen X, Wu M, Burstein D: Collagen balls in cervical-vaginal smears. Acta Cytologica 2005; 49(3):262-264
15. Szporn A. Chen X, Wu M, Sabo E, Burstein D: Increase in the incidence of peritonea collagen balls over a 10 period. Acta Cytologica 2005; 49(4):387-390
16. Jaffer S, Chen X, Lee L, Bleiweiss I: Pleomorphic solid and cystic papillary carcinoma of the breast: cases occuring in young women. Ann Diagn Pathol 2004; 8(3):126-129
17. Shapiro J, Shujaat A, Wang J, Chen X: Creutzldt-Jacob disease presenting as refractory nonconvulsive status epilepticus. J. of Intensive Care Medicine. 2004;19(6): 345-348