Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
A mastopexy procedure (or commonly referred to as a breast lift) is a surgical procedure in which a woman’s breasts are lifted and firmed to create a more balanced, youthful appearing breast. A breast lift is achieved by removing the extra skin that has caused sagging, as well as tightening the tissue that surrounds the breast to give new shape and support to the improved breast contour.
It is a natural fact that a woman’s breasts change over time. There are many factors that can contribute to drooping, flat breasts. The most common reasons associated with the loss of fullness and skin elasticity are:
- Breast Feeding
- Weight Fluctuations (Including Significant Weight Loss)
These factors are a natural part of many women’s lives, and some are unavoidable. A breast lift procedure can help to restore or maintain the youthful body of one’s past. A breast lift procedure can also be done in conjunction with a breast augmentation to further improve the contour of the newly constructed breast.
Breast Lift Procedures
A breast lift procedure can do more than raise and tighten a woman’s breasts. In some women the areola (the dark or pink around surrounding the nipple) can become enlarged over time. This can lead to another reason for a woman to be self-conscious about her breasts. The size and shape of a woman’s areola can be treated as well during a breast lift procedure.
While a breast lift procedure alone will not change the overall size of a woman’s breasts, or add fullness to the uppermost part of the breast, it can rejuvenate one’s figure to create a breast profile that is younger and more uplifted than it has been in years. To enhance the size or add fullness to the upper layer of breast tissue, a patient may want to consider a breast augmentation or breast reduction at the time of the breast lift. Contact us today to schedule your Breast Lift consultation.
Breast Lift Techniques
Methods for breast lift surgery are similar to the procedures used in breast reduction surgery. Many women are candidates for some of the newer techniques of mastopexy which minimize the scars on the breast.
Breast Lift is performed under general anesthesia.
Before Breast Lift Surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, Advil, Motrin, or other aspirin-containing products for two weeks.
- If you are a smoker, stop smoking to aid in healing.
Recovery After Breast Lift
- Discomfort may require pain medication for the first few days.
- You can return to normal activities in about two weeks, taking care to avoid strenuous activities.
- Aching, swelling and bruising will subside after several weeks.
- The final size and shape of the breasts will be apparent between 2 and 12 months after surgery.
- While scars are permanent, they are covered by bras, bathing suits and clothing and may in time fade.
- Breastfeeding may not be possible, as milk ducts are removed.
- It is important to control weight fluctuations in order to maintain long-lasting results.
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure, our team is here to help. Call us at (212) 305-3103 or request an appointment online.